My husband is a fantastic cook! Everything he makes is out of this world, from his Cuban jackfruit “lechon” to his Korean Japchae. Now, ask him to prepare the delicious Thai tofu green curry that he made last week. He won’t be able to recreate it. Why? He cooks by feeling, by instinct. No measurements. No recipes involved. Just intuition and love.
Last week, he prepared some scrumptious Brussels sprouts with a tangy red pepper tomato sauce and a little bit of red wine. It was an experience for the senses. Because I want to be able to make this over and over and over ( yes, it’s that good), we sat down together and wrote the recipe for posterity. It’s the only way! We have prepared this recipe a few times since then.
If you are a Brussels sprouts fan and love a good red sauce this is heaven on a plate. This dish also provides bone building vitamin K, boosts the immune system with vitamin C and helps with inflammation and heart disease.
- 3 lbs Brussels Sprouts, ends trimmed and yellow leaves removed
- 1 large red bell pepper, small diced
- 4 Tablespoons organic tomato paste ( We like Bionaturae brand)
- 10 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup red wine
- 4 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon paprika
- 1 Tablespoon garlic powder
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (205 degrees C).
- Transfer the Brussels sprouts, red peppers, tomato paste, garlic and red wine to a large glass baking dish. Drizzle the olive oil, paprika and garlic powder on top.
- Place in the preheated oven for 40-45 minutes, stirring up every 10 minutes
- Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.