These raw cucumber pickles are the perfect condiment to enhance the flavor of burgers, sandwiches and salads. They can also be enjoyed as a cool tangy snack.
Once you tried this recipe, you will become addicted just like Peter Piper Who Picked a Peck of Pickled Peppers. Now, a peck is the equivalent of 2.3 gallons or 8 liters. Could you eat that many pickles? Hmmm
- 6 pickling cucumbers, thinly sliced
- 2 Tablespoons raw coconut vinegar ( I like Coconut Secret)
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 2 teaspoon sea salt
- Mix all the ingredients well and press into a jar. The salt will draw the water out of the cucumbers. Make sure that the cucumbers are submerged.
- Cover and let them sit out overnight.
- Transfer to the refrigerator
The Story of Pickles
It is rumored that they were one of Cleopatra’s prized beauty secrets. They make appearances in the Bible and in Shakespeare’s writing. Pickles have been around for thousands of years, dating as far back as 2030 BC when cucumbers from their native India were pickled in the Tigris Valley. The word “pickle” comes from the Dutch pekel or northern German pókel, meaning “salt” or “brine,” two very important components in the pickling process ~ History In A Jar
Health Benefits of Cucumber
- Improve digestion – It’s a good supply of probiotics.
- Support Heart Health – Cucumbers contain potassium which can help lower blood pressure
- Protect your brain from neurological diseases – Cucumbers contain an anti-inflammatory substance called fisetin
- Relieve pain – Cucumbers contain flavonoids
- Protect your bones – Cucumbers are a good source of vitamin K
- Maintain a healthy weight – Cucumbers are low in calories
To learn more about the benefits of cucumbers, check out this funny video by Macka B, the British-Jamaican reggae artist and activist.
♫ Vitamins, minerals very high number
silica, hair and nails get longer
Other vitamins make your bones dem stronger
Anti wrinkle make you look younger
95 percent water, kidney cleanser, great hydrater
Detox, fibre, good regulator
Give your body good things don’t be a traitor ♫