Pesto is a sauce originating in Genoa, Northern Italy. The full name of this sauce is Pesto Alla Genovese. It’s traditionally made with crushed garlic, pine nuts, basil, Parmigiano-Reggiano (Parmesan cheese), Pecorino Sardo (cheese made from sheep’s milk) and salt, all blended with olive oil.
My recipe is 100% plant-based. It’s made with spinach, basil, parsley, walnuts, salt and extra virgin olive oil. I used walnuts instead of pine nuts to save on the cost. This pesto can be paired with crostini, bruschetta, mixed with pasta or poured over a baked potato. It can also be used as a salad dressing or eaten with vegetable crudites. Buon Appetito!
- 2 cups of spinach
- 2 cup of fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup of fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup of raw walnuts
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- few pine nuts for garnishing ( optional)
- Place all the ingredients in the food processor and pulse until well combined.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.